The Hotel Booth opened in January of 1912, back when Independence was one of the wealthiest cities in the nation. Sinclair Oil was started here, and until the Great Depression, we had the highest number of millionaires per capita in the United States. Former guests include Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, William Taft, Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, and Gene Autry stayed here when he played the Memorial Hall in the 1940s. It was the first steel-framed concrete building west of the Mississippi, revolutionary at the time. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in the 1983 for its cultural and architectural significance.
Hotel Booth closed in the ‘60s and sat empty until the mid-‘80s. A company purchased the building, saving it from the wrecking ball, and spent close to 6 million dollars renovating it. They transformed the 80+ hotel suites into 21 luxury apartments, closed off the center of the building with a glass atrium, (it was formerly a U-shaped building) , restored the ornate Romanesque plasterwork in the Ballroom, Dining Room, and Lobby, installed Italian chandeliers, added the enormous commercial kitchen, built conference facilities downstairs (now a concert venue), and planned to open the thirteenth Michelin five-star rated restaurant in the U.S., no expense was spared. Sadly, that company want bankrupt in 1995. The hotel then passed through several owners, and in 2001 the event rooms were closed due to water damage.
The Booth was purchased by David and Linda Grice in December of 2007. Since then, the building has been lightly renovated and brought back to its former grandeur. We opened back up for events in June 2008, and have since hosted many weddings, corporate functions, school banquets, club meetings, tours and more weddings. We opened a nearly 4,000 sq ft concert venue in May 09, and a Cocktail Lounge in October 09 and of course Bella Vita restaurant in June 2010. Please consider The Booth Hotel for your next special occasion or business meeting.